Home Assist Secure
Member for Noosa, Glen Elmes confirmed the new funding arrangements for local Home Assist Secure (HAS) providers following an announcement by the Minister for Housing and Public Works, Tim Mander.
Funding worth $18 million for 2013-2014 was announced on Tuesday 22 May 2013 by Minister Mander.
“This is a great outcome for local residents who currently use, rely on and value the HAS services and there will be benefits for government as well. This program reduces the pressure on homelessness services and social housing while improving people’s quality of life, ” Mr Elmes said.
HAS aims to remove some of the practical housing-related difficulties experienced by people aged 60 years and over and those with a disability of any age by providing minor home maintenance or repairs. Clients are assessed for eligibility against health and safety criteria before being provided HAS services.
As at 30 April 2013, the program had assisted 56,000 households around Queensland and delivered more than 183,000 individual services during 2012–13.
Previously there has been little oversight of HAS which has led to improper use of the service in some instances. The Newman Government plans to clarify the roles and guidelines around HAS to ensure services are efficient and targeted toward those that truly need it.
Mr Elmes said that HAS will be an important element of the Newman Government’s housing strategy going forward a strategy that delivers a housing system that is fair, sustainable and genuinely helps Queenslanders in need.
“Noosa is called home by many senior members of the Queensland community. They have chosen Noosa as the lifestyle they want to enjoy in retirement. Home Assist Secure will help them make their own homes safer and enable them to live in their own homes as they and the government wishes for longer than might otherwise be the case. HAS is the means to create a win for our seniors and a win for the community,” Mr Elmes said.